The average woman uses about 12 different skin care products on her face a day. Now, multiply that by 3.52 billion (as of 2014) and you’ll see that there is a lot of plastic not being recycled. Throwing even the most simple skin care/cosmetic product in the trash contributes to the chemical contamination of our fresh water and ocean water. So, it’s really important that we start becoming more aware of our post-consumer use with all products.
I found this article the other day that talked about why our skin doesn’t always have the best reaction to the products that are supposed to “help” us. It said that sometimes using a new product or a mix of products can cause skin to have a negative reaction, no matter how well the products are formulated. However, some skin care products are formulated poorly with harsh or skin-aggravating ingredients that can cause a negative reaction. Read more of the article HERE.
The reason I decided to make my own skin care products is because I have heard many stories about women getting skin cancer due to all the chemicals put on one’s face. It’s sad that these situations are not highlighted in the news or social media because cosmetic/skin care companies want us to keep buying their products to make a profit. Also, making your own skin care products allows you to reuse the same container. Now you won’t feel guilty going out to buy new products every month!
Alright, now that I have shared that information, let’s move on to making our own products! You will absolutely love how simple and fast it is to create your own face cleanser and scrub!
Here are the things you will need to make your face cleanser:
1. A bowl to mix the ingredients
2. Tablespoon/Teaspoon measuring cups
3. Small containers to store the finished products in
Ingredients you will need:
1. Organic Coconut Oil: 3 Tbsp
2. Raw Honey: 1 Tsp
3. Baking Soda: 1 Tsp
The great thing about these ingredients is that there are so few, so you really know what you are putting on your face and it’s all natural!! This mix of ingredients helps easily remove makeup at the end of the day and leaves your face feeling very moisturized and smooth.
1. First, remove the lid of your coconut oil container. You may want to place your container in the microwave for about 15 seconds so it’s easier to scoop out the coconut oil. Now, mix the coconut oil in the bowl until it is smooth, not liquid.
2. Next, pour your raw honey into the bowl and stir.
3. Add the baking soda and stir until everything is smooth.
4. Scoop everything into your container and you are ready to go!
Now, let’s move on to the face scrub! You will need the same items to help mix and measure your ingredients as above.
1. Granulated Sugar: 1 Tsp
2. 1-2 drops of water
3. 1-2 drops of lemon, orange, lavender or another essential oil (optional)
1. Pour your sugar into the bowl
2. Add drops of water and stir just a little
3. Add drops of lemon and stir everything until rough
4. Scoop everything into another small container